Karaage is a kind of fried chicken.
It’s common home-cooked meal, and we can buy in many places like delicatessen, convenience store, etc. It’s one of the most popular dishes at Izakaya (casual style Japanese pub).
Karaage and Chūhai is a no-fail combination (though, it’s not very stylish).
If you’ve lived in Japan and are not vegetarian, you may have eaten it at least once.
Karaage is also popular for lunch box.
( but sometimes it’s a leftover from last night’s dinner ^^”)
There are several recipes but generally, marinated in soy sauce and ginger, thin coated with potato starch, and deep-fry.
・Chicken (breast or breast strips ) :300g
・ Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
Soy sauce: 1+1/2 tablespoon
Sake: 1 tablespoon
Grated ginger : 1 teaspoon
Oil: 1 teaspoon
Sugar: 1 teaspoon
(I like dark brown sugar but white sugar is also OK)
・ Skrobia ziemniaczana : 2～3 tablespoon
・ Oil for deep-fry
●Cut chicken and season with salt ( don’t put too much salt).
● Put ingredients [for marinade] into a plastic bag and combine. put seasoned chicken and combine well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (hopefully over night).
● Put Skrobia ziemniaczana (potato starch) in the plastic bag and combine.
● Pour cold oil into a frying pan and put marinade chicken.
Then heat over high heat( later, medium heat).
★ Putting chicken in cold oil, that will reduce oil splashing.
● Turn over when the bottom side of chicken begin to brown.
When both side brown, remove them from the pan.
● Put fried chicken on paper towel to drain oil.